Jennifer Kirk Photography
Photobucket
Thursday, November 17, 2011
Abbey & Alex at Copetown Woods
This wedding was really special to me, not only was it my last one of the season, and it was in my home province of Ontario, but because I've known Abbey since elementary school. When Alex moved to BC for work, she decided to join him a few months later and contacted me through Facebook. Turns out that she and Alex were living just a few blocks away! We spent many hours chatting over coffee, lunch, dog play dates at the beach. (Alex and my husband have a LOT in common too!) I'm so glad she reached out and we became friends. I did their engagement photos in White Rock, and not long after that it was decided they would be going back east again. Before they left, we solidified a booking for me to join them for their wedding in October, one of my favourite months in Ontario. Here's just a tiny sample of the amazing-ness that was their wedding day, October 1st in Copetown, ON!

Abbey has a style all her own... I knew she'd be a stunning bride. With her gorgeous black hair, some smoldering eye makeup and a dress that was so HER!




We held a first look when Abbey arrived at the venue, it's one of my favourite series of photos of a first look.











This car showed up and the driver allowed us to use it for a few shots! I love when things like this happen, we get to create some fun images that are completely unique and best of all, unplanned... it just becomes part of the experience.





After the chilly winds we had for the shoot, it was a nice surprise to find the ceremony site bathed in sun and sheltered from the wind!









The reception began with two very important Macedonian traditions. First, the bread dance... a large loaf of bread is displayed while the guests dance in a circle. When the music ends, the bride and groom grab a side and pull, whomever comes away with the larger piece shall be the head of the household. Abbey won by a good margin :)


Next was the pig dance. Men dance around the room with bottles of wine, and of course the roasted pig, and guests toss money onto the platter to pay for the feast. I'm guessing the American dollar bills were used as they're much more fun for tossing than our Loonies! These two parts of the day were among my favourite moments, traditions are so much fun to photograph!



I want to point out all the DIY details for this wedding. Graphic designer Abbey did everything you see here, from the menu and favour design (little bird salt & pepper shakers, btw) to the decorated card box... and much of what you see was sourced on etsy... including the bridesmaid dresses! Simply amazing!

One of the engagement photos I did with them in White Rock during their time in BC decorated the cake table... many others were displayed on each table







Abbey & Alex danced to a beautiful song, Everlong by the Foo Fighters... made even more amazing because it was plated acoustically and sang by a friend






Thanks for having me along for the celebration, Abbey & Alex. I couldn't have asked for a better way to end the season than with friends like you. <3

Labels: ,

posted by Jennifer Kirk Photography @ Thursday, November 17, 2011  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Kirk Photography
Home: Vancouver/Lower Mainland, British Columbia, Canada
About Me:
See my complete profile
Facebook Twitter
Recent Posts
Archives
Links